Haters get it out on bananas saying that they make you fat.
Well, I don’t think so, and this is why: let’s do a quick comparison of bananas to apples (a fruit that doesn’t get a bad rap)
A banana of 100 grams contains approximately 90 calories. An apple of 100 g contains 46 kcal. So one automatically thinks, ok then NO BANANAS FOR ME. However, if you weigh a big banana, it weighs 195 g whereas a big apple weighs 268 g. Of course, we don’t eat the banana peel and neither do we eat the apple core, which means we should just take in consideration the edible parts. The edible part of a banana weighs 120 g and that of the apple weighs 227 g . This means that the edible part of a banana is 102 cal, while the edible part of an apple is 104 calories. So in terms of calories, apples and bananas are the same!! yay!
Bananas are pretty awesome: they contain loads of fiber, low amounts of fat and they are also easily digestible. Banana
The best thing about bananas is their amazing effect on the skin.
- They contain large amounts of Vitamin C and Vitamin B6 which play a vital role in maintaining the integrity and elasticity of the skin.
- Their high potassium content is effective in reducing cellulite.
- Packed with antioxidants and manganese that protect the skin from damage caused by oxygen free radicals which lead to premature aging of the skin.
- They are about 75% water by weight thus they help hydrate skin and prevent it from drying and peeling.
- Bananas are a mild diuretic and prevent water retention in the body.
- Bananas have antacid compounds that relieve heartburn
- The presence of amino acids in bananas helps combat allergies.
- They help you sleep and prevent insomnia: bananas are rich in amino acid Tryptophan. This substance triggers production of melatonin (sleep hormone) which induces sleep. Eating banana a few hours before bedtime ensures a peaceful night’s sleep.
- Bananas help you think: they are rich source of B vitamins which perk up nerve function. Potassium, in banana keeps the mental faculties vigilant and boosts learning abilities.
- Help digestion: bananas are rich in fructooligosaccharide which acts as a probiotic (friendly bacteria) in the gut. It stimulates the growth and activity of probiotics in the colon and produces enzymes that enable absorption of nutrients thus enhancing the digestive ability nutrient uptake capacity of the body
- Improve bowels: Pectin found in Bananas, help to alleviate constipation and improves bowel function.
- Helps withdrawing from smoking urge: Vitamins B6 and B12 along with magnesium and Potassium in Bananas helps recover from nicotine addiction
- And finally, bananas really help alleviate hangovers!
I love to pair bananas with ginger, because the ginger really brings out the sweetness in the banana. I make this banana ginger smoothie that’s the BOMB.
Banana Ginger Smoothie Serves 1 ~ 1 banana (I love to freeze my bananas overnight so that I get a cold smoothie) ~ 1 cup of kefir, plain yogurt, or almond milk ~ 1/2 tsp finely sliced ginger ~ 1/2 cup ice (if you want it cold) ~ 1 Tablespoon of honey or agave (optional)
Ginger is also great for skin thanks to its stimulating and cleansing properties.
- Helps fight inflammation and is especially effective against acne and skin rashes.
- Stimulates circulation and therefore has a strong anti-cellulite effect on the skin,
- Very high in antioxidants that protect the skin from free radicals
- Powerful antiseptic that helps maintain skin clean, soft, and radiant.
- Speeds up metabolism and helps burn body fat.
- Improves digestion
- Is a natural aphrodisiac